In the era of globalization and free trade, the role of animal quarantine laboratory becomes more important and more strategic in order to fulfil its duty to ensure the quality, safety and health of animal and animal product which are traded for export, import and domestic. Quarantine also has an important role in biosafety, including animal and plant biosafety. Therefore, laboratory has a vital role in the biosafety aspect. Accordingly, Agricultural Quarantine Agency of Indonesia in their strategic plan has a commitment to improve the infrastructure of quarantine laboratory, in the centre level and in the technical implementing units; one of the units is animal quarantine laboratory in Surabaya.
Regarding the commitment, the Agricultural Quarantine Major Service of Surabaya has continuously improved the competency of its laboratory with international standard. The laboratory of the Agricultural Quarantine Major Service of Surabaya has been accredited by National Accreditation Committee (LP-461-IDN /18 April 2018) as a testing laboratory which implements an ISO/IEC 17025:2017 standard. As an accredited laboratory, the laboratory has the same standard as the other laboratories under the International Laboratory Accreditation Commission (ILAC).
In order to improve the laboratory test capabilities, to deal with the lack of infrastructures, to improve the variety and the capacity of the tests, to support the plan of increasing the scope of tests, to support laboratory monitoring and surveillance, to support any research conducted by the laboratory technicians, and to adapt with the national and international standard, mainly the standard of quality and quantity of tests based on the ISO/IEC 17025:2008 standard; the Agricultural Quarantine Major Service of Surabaya had the new laboratory, which is located behind the main office on Jl. Raya Bandara Ir. H. Juanda – Sidoarjo, been renovated since 2018.
The new renovated building was officially launched with a small ceremony on 8 January 2019, which was led by Dr. Ir. M. Musyaffak Fauzi, SH, M.Si., the head of the Agricultural Quarantine Major Service of Surabaya. The ceremony was also attended by structural and functional officers of the Animal Quarantine Division.
The two levels of new laboratory consist of laboratory rooms at level 2: Molecular Biology Laboratory, Chemical Laboratory, Bacteriology and Mycology Laboratory, Serology and Virology Laboratory and technical room. To support the laboratory testing activities, all rooms at level 1 are used as sample admission and barcode room, record, meeting room, staff / administration room, changing room, pantry and canteen.
Testing activities run in the animal quarantine laboratory are:
- Testing of animal products (beef, poultry, duck meat, lamb/mutton, pork, sausage, meatball, nugget, milk), tested in Bacteriology Laboratory: isolation and identification, total plate count (TPC), coliform bacteria, Escherichia coli bacteria, Salmonella spp. bacteria, Staphylococcus aureus bacteria; rapid test (E. coli, Salmonella spp., Staphylococcus aureus);
- Testing of animal products, tested in Serology Laboratory: Enzyme Linked Immunosorbent Assay (ELISA) – species identification (chicken, bovine, porcine, sheep); tested in Molecular Biology Laboratory: conventional Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) and Real Time PCR (chicken, bovine, porcine, sheep);
- Testing of swift’s nest tested in Bacteriology Laboratory: isolation and identification, total plate count (TPC), coliform bacteria, coli bacteria, Salmonella spp. bacteria, S. aureus bacteria; tested in Molecular Biology Laboratory: conventional PCR and Real Time PCR Avian Influenza (AI);
- Testing of avian sera (DOC, poultry, duck, bird), tested in Serology Laboratory: Haemagglutination – Haemagglutination Inhibition (HA-HI) – antibody titre against AI and New-castle Disease (ND); tested in Molecular Biology Laboratory: conventional PCR and Real Time PCR Avian Influenza (AI);
- Testing of swift’s nest, avian sera (DOC, poultry, duck, bird), tested in Serology Laboratory: Rapid Test AI;
- Testing of bovine sera (cattle, buffalo), tested in Serology Laboratory: Rose Bengal Test (RBT) – antibody titre against Brucella spp.;
- Testing of dog and cat sera, tested in Serology Laboratory: ELISA – antibody titre against rabies; tested in Biology Molecular Laboratory: conventional PCR and Real Time PCR rabies;
- Testing of bovine sera, tested in Serology Laboratory: ELISA – antibody titre against Bovine Viral Diarrhoea (BVD), Infectious Bovine Rhinotracheitis (IBR), Paratuberculosis / Johne’s Disease, Enzootic Bovine Leucosis (EBL);
- Testing of meat bone meal (MBM), poultry by product meal (PPM), hydrolised feather meal (HFM), tested in Molecular Biology Laboratory: conventional PCR and Real Time PCR – species identification (chicken, bovine, porcine, sheep);
- Testing of animal products, tested in Chemical Laboratory: High-performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC), Spectrophotometer and Randox® Evidence Investigator – antimicrobial, drug and hormone residue;
- Testing of animal products, MBM, PPM, HFM, tested in Mycology Laboratory: Aspergillus spp.
Here are the pictures of laboratory facilities, laboratory staff and testing activities in the new laboratory:
ADMINISTRATION AND TECHNICAL ROOM
SAMPLE ADMISSION / BARCODE ROOM
ADMINISTRATION / STAFF ROOM
Ruang Penerimaan Sampel dan Ruang Administrasi yang terletak di Lantai 1 Gedung Baru yang telah direnovasi pada Tahun 2018.
BACTERIOLOGY AND MYCOLOGY
BACTERIOLOGY AND MYCOLOGY LABORATORY (CLOCKWISE: BALANCE AND STOCK ROOM, PREPARATION ROOM, TESTING ROOM)
BACTERIOLOGY AND MYCOLOGY LABORATORY (CLOCKWISE: LABORATORY STAFF, WEIGHING CULTURE MEDIA, MEDIA PREPARATION, POURING SAMPLE AND AGAR INTO PETRI DISH)
SEROLOGY AND VIROLOGY
SEROLOGY AND VIROLOGY LABORATORY (TESTING ROOM AND TESTING EQUIPMENT OF ELISA, HA/HI, RAPID TEST)
SEROLOGY AND VIROLOGY LABORATORY (CLOCKWISE: LABORATORY STAFF, TESTING ACTIVITIES IN THE LABORATORY ROOM: HA/HI TESTING, ELISA TESTING)
MOLECULAR BIOLOGY LABORATORY (CLOCKWISE: PREPARATION ROOM, RNA AND DNA ROOMS, AMPLIFICATION ROOM)
MOLECULAR BIOLOGY LABORATORY (CLOCKWISE: LABORATORY STAFF, SAMPLE EXTRACTION, MASTER MIX PREPARATION FOR A PCR REACTION, AMPLIFICATION WITH REAL TIME PCR)
CHEMICAL LABORATORY (CLOCKWISE: PREPARATION ROOM, TESTING ROOM, HPLC, RANDOX® EVIDENCE INVESTIGATOR)
CHEMICAL LABORATORY (CLOCKWISE: LABORATORY STAFF, HPLC TESTING, EQUIPMENT OF CHEMICAL ANALYSIS)